Monday, January 18, 2010

Love Story: Part 1--Fire

I've been thinking a lot about our love story lately. Even though most of you know it, I'll share the ooey gooey details. :) I love this story, because it's my life! I probably won't share it all right away,but I'll sprinkle them in there every now and again. :)

Dane and I met in high school at youth group. However, were not the "dating" type. We were the "we're too good of friends to date" type. Although, of course, I had a crush on the boy. He later admitted that he "Thought I was kind of cute, but it would never work out." We were best friends though. We used to sit in my basement and TALK for hours. At one point, he even said, "Brooke, we're best friends right, but we would never date." I replied, "We'll see what God has in store." And he continued with his story. Slightly heartbreaking for me.
Anyway, we both went our separate ways. I went to the East coast for school and he stayed in the Midwest. However, we stayed in contact...again, talking into the wee-hours of the night. I found myself comparing all the guys that I met with him. I even tried really hard to fall for other guys because I was scared that I was giving him too much of my heart without him even knowing. To no avail though. I would say, "Oh, I can't talk to him like I can talk to Dane. He's not as sensitive, masculine, Godly, smart, funny...etc. etc. you get the point."
I still remember it was around Easter when everything changed. We talked again for hours, but this time the conversation was focused more on...us. At one point Dane said, "Do you ever think you know the person you are going to marry." Not wanting to sound to eager...and wanting the dear boy to pursue me,I said, "I don't know." Much later on, I found out that it was about this time that he started thinking about me less like a best friend/sister character and more like a girl he could date. (All while working on the roofs for Joe Staudt. :) I think that part is funny.)
Then, that summer I was throwing him a birthday party. We hung out with our group of friends that night, gave each other homemade gifts (we had a tendency to do that often. He gave me a ring made out of a two dollar bill. He said he made it out of a two dollar bill because one was a lonely number...This is important for later. Keep it in your memory.) and when everyone left we stood by the fire. He came and gave me a hug (...which was not unusual...) However, this time, It was different. He said, "Brooke, I love you." I said, "I love you too." And we kissed.

Now comes the funny part in the story.
It was my first kiss. Remember that we were standing by a fire. Well, I stuck my foot in it. And I kept it there. When I was younger, I had read about people who had "ruined" their first kisses in magazines and I did not want it to happen to me. However, it hurt. So, I said, "Dane, I'm on fire." He said, "I know you are." (In an "of course you are you're kissing me" voice...) And, I said, "No, I'm really on fire!" He kindly lifted me out of the fire...and we laughed.

Here is a picture of us back then...

1 comment: